Okay, my bags are not packed, and I am nowhere near ready to go… but I leave in less than two days!
I was recently hired to work aboard a cruise ship in the mediterranean as a Youth Counsellor – an adventure that allows me to travel the world, while not completely draining my bank account at the same time – it’s a win-win.
As a Youth Counsellor, I’ll be taking care of kids aboard the ship with a team of other counsellors. We run games, dress up in costumes, and generally have a lot of fun. It’s very similar to a camp atmosphere – so I should be right at home.
I got the final news today – my medical has been cleared, and I’m ready to go. The whole application process has been intense, but definitely worth the effort. It started off like this:
- Initial application to a recruiter.
- A lot of waiting.
- An invitation to interview with the recruiter.
- She likes me! An invitation to interview with the Cruise Line!
- They like me! A pre-employment letter.
- A doctor’s appointment, bloodwork, and chest x-ray.
- A criminal record check.
- A follow-up doctor’s appointment.
- Getting my fingerprints done.
- Another doctor’s appointment.
- Clearance from the medical department, a contract issued, and a flight booked two days from now!
Overall, it was about a two-month long process, and it’s all culminated in a two-day, pack-everything-you-can, adventure. Saturday I fly off the coast of Portugal to board the ship. I’ll keep you posted.